While the Policy presented here concentrates on information collected by IDSA through digital means, it also applies to PII submitted to IDSA by other means, including, but not limited to USPS mail, facsimile, telephone and registration or sign-up sheets.
By interacting with IDSA, you acknowledge that you have read and understand the processes, procedures and terms of this Policy, and furthermore, that you consent to providing the data we collect and how we use the same and share it in accordance with this Policy. If you do NOT agree with the data we collect and/or how IDSA uses and/or shares it, you should not interact with IDSA.
Users interact with IDSA in a number of different ways and for a variety of reasons. However, generally speaking, it is for the following purposes:
- Vising our website or microsites (collectively referred to as website)
- Buying / renewing / enjoying the benefits of membership like participating in Chapters and Sections
- Subscribing to / reading publications and communications like INNOVATION, designBytes and designUpdate
- Buying conference tickets / attending events
- Entering awards and competitions
- Supporting the Design Foundation
Collection & Processing of Your PII
IDSA collects and process your PII when:
- You have provided your consent (which you may withdraw at any time)
- It is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party
- It is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person including situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person
- It is for the purpose of IDSA’s legitimate commercial interests and/or to carry out the non-profit goals and operation of IDSA (except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests). Legitimate interests include, but are not limited to:
- Improving current programs / developing new programs
- Forecasting trends impacting the design community as a whole
- Providing aggregated data to entities / institutions which demonstrates our position as a source of information and an authority in industrial design
Additionally, IDSA may receive information about you from publicly available and third-party databases or services that provide information about businesses or business people that IDSA believes will help it identify products and services that may be of interest to you. IDSA will obtain your consent before contacting you if required by the law of the country in which you are located.
IDSA does not rent, sell or share personal information about you with other people or non-affiliated companies except to provide products or services associated with any purchases with IDSA, that you’ve requested or through your permission. In these circumstances, IDSA provides trusted partners who work under contractual agreements, the minimally necessary information required to fulfill said products or services or communicate offers IDSA reasonably believes would be of value to you. These companies do not have any independent right to share your information and are not permitted to process or store your PII into perpetuity.
Some areas of the website allow you to submit questions or express your opinions. Please note that all submissions become the property of the IDSA and IDSA is not responsible for the opinions or statements expressed therein and specifically disclaims any and all liability for any damages or injuries of any kind or nature arising out of or resulting from the third-party expression of those opinions, ideas or statement.
Some areas of the website are restricted to members only.? These areas require a user name and password which is used to verify membership status and proper authorization to use a particular resource. Passwords are not stored by IDSA and usernames are not made available to third-party’s other than IDSA’s contracted website vendor(s).
IDSA does not disclose credit card account information provided by its users. When users choose to pay using their credit cards, IDSA submits the information needed to obtain payments to the appropriate clearing house and does not store such information.
Users can edit their account information including marketing preferences at any time.? From time to time, IDSA may add new categories of marketing communications.? Users can opt out of receiving future marketing communications from these new categories or they can unsubscribe by following the instructions contained in the messages they receive.
IDSA limits its employee’s access to personal information about users unless IDSA reasonably believes that information is needed to provide products and services to users or in order to do their jobs.? IDSA maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards?that comply with federal regulations to protect personal information about users.
Your California Rights
FOR RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA ONLY: Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code requires select businesses to disclose policies relating to the sharing of certain categories of your Personal Data (PII) with third parties. If you reside in California and have provided your Personal Data (PII) to IDSA, you may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of PII to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at one of the following addresses: Industrial Designers Society of America, 555 Grove Street, Suite 200, Herndon, Virginia 20170 by mail or calling IDSA at (703) 707 6000 (Ext. 112 or 119) or notifying IDSA at email@example.com.
Your European Rights
FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS ONLY: You have the right to ask IDSA not to process your Personal Identifiable Information (PII) for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your PII) if we intend to use your PII for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your PII. You can also exercise the right by contacting us by the following procedures: email or telephone IDSA’s contact at (703) 707 6000 Ext. 112 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under European data protection laws, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data or PII. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Data (PII) IDSA retains about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the PII, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the PII has been shared, where possible, the period for which the PII will be stored, the source of the PII, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your Personal Data or PII. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate PII we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your Personal Data or PII.?You may have the right to request that any or all PII held about you is deleted.
- Object to processing of your Personal Data or PII /?Request restriction of processing your Personal Data or PII.?You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your PII.
- Request transfer of your Personal Data or PII.?You may have the right to request transfer of your PII directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
- Withdraw your consent.
In addition, where you believe that IDSA has not complied with its obligations under this Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting IDSA – Industrial Designers Society of America, 555 Grove Street, Suite 200, Herndon, Virginia 20170 by mail or calling IDSA at (703) 707 6000 (Ext. 112 or 119) or notifying IDSA at email@example.com.
Additionally, for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations enacted by the European Union, (and Data Protection Acts of 1984 and 1998, as applicable), IDSA and its authorized agent/vendor must store, host and otherwise process the PII supplied by the website user when registering for the IDSA website. IDSA may send such data outside of the European Economic Area for processing.? If you reside in the European Union, please indicate your affirmative consent that the personal identifiable information you provide to IDSA may be transferred and stored in countries outside of the EU, including the United States and that IDSA may use such information to contact you via electronic mail, mail or by telephone with respect to matters related to the IDSA and its programs, your membership and other relevant educational and professional related matters.
Changes to This Policy
This Policy is subject to amendment from time to time by IDSA in its sole discretion. Each time you interact with IDSA, you should visit the website to review this Policy to ensure you are reviewing the most recent version. IDSA will include the date of any modification or amendment at the top or bottom of this Policy.
IDSA is a New York incorporated 501(c)(6) non-profit professional society with its principal business office located at 555 Grove Street, Suite 200, Herndon, Virginia 20170. Its principal business telephone number is (703) 707-6000.? IDSA may also be visited by way of its website located at www.bisonroam.com.
For purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”), the Data Controller is IDSA. IDSA’s Chief Technology Contact is Allan Gordon whose email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.? He may also be reached at his telephone number, which is (703) 707-6000 Ext. 112.
If you have any questions about this Policy or any of IDSA’s products or services as it relates to this Policy, please contact Allan Gordon at the above email address or telephone number or by mail at the above address.